Level 2 Sun Alert - hot weather safety tips
A Level 2 Alert (80%) Sun Alert has been raised - this means there is a probability of heatwave conditions between 0900 on Tuesday 26th and 1800 on Thursday 28th July 2018 in the North West of England). Its great for you sun lovers but be careful not to over do it.
Follow the tips below to ensure you stay safe during the hot weather:-
- Keep out of the sun between 11.00am and 3.00pm
- Wear at least factor 15 sunscreen and remember to apply 30 minutes before you go out in the sun. Reapply every couple of hours.
- Ensure all children wear a hat or head covering
- Ensure children wear light, loose-fitting cotton clothes
- Ensure everyone has plenty of cold drinks to keep hydrated (again, avoiding caffeine, alcohol or sugary drinks)
- It is advisable to eat cold foods, particularly washed salads and fruit with a high water content
- Keep the environment cool by keeping windows that are exposed to the sun closed or shaded - electric fans will help too and ensure a flow of air
- Ensure there are shaded areas in the play areas
- Don't leave babies and young children alone especially in cars or rooms which get very warm such as conservatories
- Monitor children with health conditions
- Ensure that children's medication is kept below 25 degrees C
- Take extra care when planning outdoor activities such as barbecues, which involve prolonged time spent outdoors as well as posing an additional fire risk.
- Don't jump into cold water (dams etc) to cool down. Extreme caution should be taken if entering, playing or swimming in open water.
More information / advice can be found via the following link to the Heatwave Plan.