Energy Saving Tips
Looking for some top energy saving tips? Villages Housing's energy mascot, Sparky, shares handy hints to help you save energy and money on your fuel bills.
There are some quick tips on how you can save energy and reduce your fuel bills. Using less energy can save you up to 20% on your fuel bills.
1. Turn down your central heating by 1 degree could save you up to 10% on your energy bills.
2. Set your hot water thermostat to 60°C.
3. Draw your curtains at dusk and tuck them behind the radiators to stop heat escaping and reduce draughts.
4. Take a shower rather than a bath.
5. Keep internal doors closed to reduce draughts.
6. Choose the right size pan for the food you’re cooking and for the hob. Keep the lid on and only use enough water to cover the food.
7. Don’t leave your TV and video on standby; turn off the main switches (even on standby, they can use up to 25% of the full amount of energy).
8. Don’t overfill your kettle. Use enough water for what you need, remembering to cover the element.
9. When using your washing machine, always wash a full load or use a half load or economy programme.
10. Turn lights off when leaving a room.
11. Defrost your fridge and freezer regularly to keep them running efficiently
12. When replacing appliances, look out for the Energy Efficiency Recommended logo. The blue logo can be found on anything from fridges to light bulbs. It is a sure sign that the appliance being bought is one of the most efficient in its category.
For further advice and information on energy savings, visit The Energy Savings Trust website on www.energysavingtrust.org.uk